Sicily Salty & Sweet

After a 2 hour flight delay on Friday and a taxi mix up we finally arrived to the beautiful town of Taormina at 2:30am. Our apartment here is just steps away from the fortress walls where a beautiful mediaeval hill town explodes. We have visited a Teatro Greco, lovely garden, stunning alleys inviting us to wander and explore, and breathtaking views of the sea and Mount Etna. We have also stayed fit by taking in some challenging hikes to a near by town called Castelmora (The hike was 529 meters) and the beach Isola Bella.
Once again the people we have met have only made this adventure even more amazing. Rob made friends with a British history professor Paul, who took the time to explain all the monuments in the Taormina Garden. I don't know how it happens but we always seem to find the best people. Rob is very excited to share his new FACTS with you so be prepared! We also had an amazing evening with some lovely young Aussies, who made the night memorable!
As you know my love for the beach is strong and the water here on the Ionian Sea is stunning. Remember in my post about packing I mentioned that I'm sure I forgot something...it was the water shoes. Most of the beaches have been rocky but the €6 water shoes we bought were definitely needed!
The food requires a post of it's own so I'll just give you the highlights! Unbelievable but true we have yet to try a cannoli. They are everywhere here and come in different sizes and so many kinds. Definitely cannoli will be on tomorrow's agenda. The rice balls (Arancini) I can't even begin to explain how good they are; they look like little volcanos and burst with flavour in your mouth! I'm loving the Sicilian pistachio cream they add to pizzas, Arancini and brioche, it just works! And the fish, my goodness, especially being by the sea just tastes so good. The Branzino (Sea Bass) has been one of our favourites.
It's time to head to Catania, Sicily for a few days where we have many more adventures waiting for us!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Time For Another Adventure

The Magic of Cartagena

Madeira is More Than Just My Last Name