The Tide is Changing

This week was more about finding ways to entertain our moms than about Black Friday shopping. How do you go from being parented by your mom to becoming their parent in a blink of an idea? It actually happened quite quickly. Never take for granted being able to make simple decisions for yourself.  Things we do without even thinking have now become monumental decisions for these women.  Being at the beach has become a very quiet affair as neither one of them is much for talking anymore. The pressing question of the day is what are we doing for dinner?

We have filled our days with short walks on the beach (my walking game has dropped significantly), getting them to do some word searches or play dominoes to help stimulate the brain, and short trips to the store where after a few minutes I can see the look of confusion and know it’s time to leave. Luckily we are starting to build some routines for the day that have helped both of them feel a little more stable, and staying home more than we normally would because it’s just easier.



Our big adventure was walking the Delray strip and getting some ice cream at our favourite shop Kilwins. I also took my mother in law to our local parish, just a short walk across the street for Sunday service. Can you believe how smart they are down here, the Holy Water is dispensed like hand sanitizer? Brilliant, something we could definitely adopt back home too!



Las Verdes also has some classes for the community, I managed to get my mom out to a Zumba class but my mother in law was a harder sell. I’m convinced the woman is allergic to exercise but I’m not giving up. I got her to buy some running shoes and Wednesday morning she has no excuse. Part of staying mentally healthy is exercising, and although I know neither one of them will go without me, it would be great if this was something they would do for themselves. It also allows them the chance to socialize with their own peer group. Trust me when I tell you I was the youngest one by far but they were so friendly and welcoming.  One of the ladies made sure I knew the schedule for all the classes and made me promise to come back. 

On a lighter note, in typical Florida style we experienced some excitement on our drive back from getting ice cream. As we approached a stop light there was a man totally sprawled out on the road.  Some other people got out of the car as we couldn’t drive through the intersection. He claimed that a women who was parked just off to the side watching the whole ordeal with her hand on her hip, had thrown him out of the car. Rob and my dad helped him get up, but he started accusing the bystanders of stealing his phone and I told the guys to get in the car.  We spotted a police cruiser (who just sat in his car throughout this whole thing) at the Dunkin Donuts parking lot and told him to go there for help. I’m sure there is a story behind what led to that event, but part of me knows this is not an unlikely occurrence here in south… Florida.

We also spotted a rather unusual van, full of snacks. What do you think it might mean? 



Comments

  1. Wow, talk about a busy evening!
    Times are a changing for sure, crime and mental health issues on the rise all over. Good on you for pushing that physical activity on the moms. Sometimes we need someone else to give us that push. Cheers and see you guys soon. Safe travels. 🤗

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Time For Another Adventure

The Magic of Cartagena

Madeira is More Than Just My Last Name