Good Times and Tan Lines In Puerto Rico

Drinks To Go

One of my goals during this year of travel is getting a chance to travel with each of my children individually on a trip.  My son Matteo and I fit this trip in between the end of his coop term and the beginning of his summer school semester at the end of April. I believe travel is an opportunity to dial into your kid, meet them where they are, and strengthen your relationship. Not only was I able to bond with Matteo but it also gave the child (Simone) left behind a chance to connect and build a stronger relationship with her dad.

Beautiful Views From Within The Fort

Why Puerto Rico you ask? I did a google flights search and it came up at a reasonable price and I had never been there, so why not?  San Juan and El Yunque not only has stunning beaches and an amazing eco-system but it also the home of the Pina Colada.  Being in American territory, I was expecting it to be very "Americanized", but it was filled with Puerto Rican culture at every turn. We got to try the local dish Mofongo, take a tour of Old San Juan, visit local bars, snorkel from the beach, venture into the rainforest of El Yunque, and Kayak with Manatees.  I'd say we accomplished quite a bit in our 4 day getaway.

It's Taco Time

Tacos and Watermelon Drinks at Kabanas

Shrimp Mofongo

Market Place in Condado

Delicious Food in Old San Juan

Waterfalls in El Yunque
In El Yunque I almost lost my life and the memories could have become a little tragic for Matteo when my hand slipped from the rope as I attempted to swing into the water like a female Tarzan.  Matteo has a video but I still haven't been able to watch it as I came inched away from hitting the rocks.  I guess I need to remember that I'm no spring chicken anymore and I should attempt things with more caution.  Luckily, God was on my side, leaving me with some wicked bruises and a little PTSD from the event.

Coffee Shops Everywhere

Our accommodations were super cute and centrally located. Casablanca is a Boutique Hotel with 57 guestrooms with a lot of character, capturing San Juan by making sure your stay is pleasant and memorable. The structure is Spanish from the 1900's therefore rooms are mid to small sized, air conditioned and impeccable. The Sun Deck on the roof top offers stunning sunsets and a memorable experience with magical views of Old San Juan. We were able to watch the cruises as they disappeared into the bay and enjoy the historical views of San Cristobal Fort next to the open Caribbean Sea.

Stunning Streets

Casablanca Hotel Roof Top

One of the bars we visited is the famous La Factoria, one of the top 50 best bars in the world where the music video Despacito was filmed. The very moment you enter you can feel that it is not your ordinary bar.  The unmarked location is full of secret passages that lead to 7 different bar areas, each with a different ambiance.  We really enjoyed watching the bartenders creating craft cocktails made with only the fresh ingredients.

Hand crafted Cocktails

Matteo and I walked everywhere (I know you are not surprised by this if you have been following the Blog this year), usually about 15-20kms a day.  The beach was about a 30 minute walk and we could snorkel right from the shoreline. The highlight besides hanging out with Matteo was our private Kayak along the intercostal where we saw so many manatees. 

But Coffee First

Kayak Time

Escambron Beach in Old San Juan

Our trip home was a little eventful, with delays, mechanicals and cancelled flights but we managed to finally make it home after a brief stopover in Miami. Other than torrential rain for a few hours the first day and some hiccups getting home, I would say this was another sun-tastic trip!  Thanks for the memories Puerto Rico, this Mama's heart is full!

Heartfelt Memories with Matteo



Tips:

1. Brush up on your Spanish...it was actually quite shocking how little English is spoken.

2. Purchase your SIM Card from home (Amazon), there was no where at the airport or in town to buy a SIM card.

3. It's not cheap...bring those American dollars, you are going to need them. 2-3 days is plenty if you are just staying in San Juan. If you go for longer make sure to travel around the island. Some of the places looked amazing, but it will have to be for another time.

4. Try Monfongo...you will not be disappointed. Everything we ate was great and fresh.  The coffee was also very good!

5. We walked day and night, never felt unsafe but as always be aware of your surroundings and stay clear of La Perla at night. (During the day it's fine)

Umbrella Streets are Everywhere Now




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time For Another Adventure

The Magic of Cartagena

Madeira is More Than Just My Last Name